Saturday, March 5, 2011

I Look Like a Girl


If you ignore the bullet holes and the front yards filled with rubble and garbage (not unlike a deep southern, redneck's) Baghdad has what could be some pretty nice houses. Garbage is not isolated to peoples' yards, it is EVERYWHERE. There are piles of debris, wiring, rubble, a few dead dogs, and trash all along every road here. A solid 'adopt a highway' program could do this country a world of good. Note the relatively clean side of this road in the photo. Also, people can be found herding sheep along the highway. Obviously not to common back in the states. We currently share the road with ordinary Iraqi traffic but they still have enough sense to pull off to the side of the road when we come by. Very courteous.

I also had my first interactions with some honest to god, red blooded Iraqis the other day. My first was with some Federal Police officers. Some of which I found, were less professional than others. Here is what happened: We were stopped at a FP checkpoint and a few people were talking to the FP Major that was driving through. some FP dude across the street yelled something in my direction in Arabic. Obviously I didn't understand what the hell he was saying. Another FP in a black leather jacket (standard issue?) nudged me and pointed across the street where I said, "Dude, I don't speak Arabic." I thought this would be obvious due to the not so subtle fact that I am a white American who is obviously new here. Several of the FP were laughing and a third FP, who later introduced himself as the Major's driver, told me in rather good english that, "He said you look like a girl." I responded with a classic Aaron Guaderrama sarcastic look and said, "Tell him I think he looks like a girl too." Let me tell you, that he did not.
Arabic words were exchanged and the driver told me that he said "thanks." Was that man trying to insult me or hit on me? I may never know for sure. But let me assure you, the buddy team will be strictly enforced.

You may have heard about how Iraqi children will constantly harass you to try to get candy, gatorade or whatever. This is true. Shortly after I basically forced this one hazel eyed, Iraqi child (probably a british soldier's son. He was about 8 years old which fits) to take a picture with me, he demanded I give him my watch. This seemed to be the only english he knew. I decided to give him my mechanical pencil instead, but the little bugger's appetite for my things could not be stopped. He continued to demand my watch until we got back into the trucks and bailed out of that piece.

Bottom line: Iraq is dirty, I am a very appealing man, and do not give the kids anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment