As I was brushing my teeth this morning for maybe the tenth time since arriving here, I glanced to the left and noticed a sign: "Non-Potable Water!! Use Bottled Water to Brush Teeth."
Think about it... I'll let that sink in before moving on, but yes, I did say "tenth time" and "brushing my teeth."
Now, let's try not to think how long that sign had been up there - my guess, based on the frayed, taped edges, is like 3 years - and let's instead focus on the fact that the water coming out of the faucets, showers and handwashing stations is dirty water. So, every time I shave, shower, or wash my face (I'll leave brushing my teeth alone but, yeah, that too) I am doing so with dirty water. And the consequences have been pretty freaking horrible: my face is breaking out like I am a 17-year old high school student (well, three pimples, but still), after shaving I have razor burn on my neck, and after showers I have what I can only describe as an inhuman sheen to my entire body.
But this is Kuwait, people!! Not a third-world country. It has 2.4 million people and an unemployment rate hovering somewhere below 1%. It has billions of dollars in foreign investment and an oil portfolio that would make Captain Planet summon all his Planeteers to gawk and say, under their breath, "lets move on to renewable energy... but really slowly." We have been here, using this very base as a launching pad into Iraq, for 8 years. And still, we can't drink the water. And not only can we not drink the water, but I think the US Army has a contract with ProActiv because I'm not the only pre-pubescent looking dude walking around in need of an Oxy Pad. Something isn't right here.
Other than the water, though, there are a good amount of not-so-subtle things I am sure we'd all like to see fixed. Sleeping in a poorly-ventilated tent is surely a start. Last night I was in the field - where no one ever sleeps well - and I felt incredible this morning since I didn't wake up next to someone 12 inches from my face sawing logs like a new Paul Bunyan. So too is the fact that we arrived here in Kuwait on Tuesday morning (I think, still fighting the time thing) February 1st and will not leave for our next assignment in Iraq until February 14th at the earliest... meaning we have a whole lot of time to do a whole lot of nothing (reference the myriad of posts from Aaron and Kyle).
But this is the Army. We are so convenienced by objects in our lives - iPods, flat-screen tvs, assorted video gaming systems - that we forget that many people have accomplished far more with far less for far longer. There was something liberating in going to the field without even so much as a cot, sleeping bag and shelter half and doing just fine. Yeah I love reading my Kindle (thanks mom). And I love Mumford & Sons and Sara Bariellies and everything so far from Ron Pope. And I immediately found the onpost Starbucks and am getting used to goats' milk. But we - I - don't need it. People asked me when I was getting ready to leave if I was ready to "rough it." Well, if this is "roughing it" then I think I'm fine. Sure, the cots are pretty crappy and our tent is hideously over capacity, but I have a bed and I am protected from the elements. Sure, the water's not drinkable, but it's still water. And sure I have to put on shoes and walk a few hundred feet to use the bathroom... but at least I'm not digging a ditch.
I don't know what it is, but being separated - artifically, but still separated - from the real world is amazing. Yesterday was the Super Bowl. I didn't watch it; I was out on a range getting my Soldiers prepared to deploy and fight. Sure I have personal issuse I'd love to resolve now, but I don't need to: they'll still be there, either waiting for me or resolved, when I get back. Its liberating. Seriously, I think you all should try it.
Excellent usage of Captain Planet reference. That little south african kid was most likely gay
ReplyDelete