I have not written a post in a month and a half. I don't want to say it's because we haven't been doing anything worth writing about, or my sense of defeat for having no well defined purpose here or for dealing with overwhelming stupidity on the regular, but it is all those things. I still have nothing specifically to write about so I'll just run through whatever comes up.
On the bright side of things, we are within days of being 4 months down for the deployment, and on May 23, I had my second anniversary in the Army. Time has certainly gone by fast. Seems like not too long ago when I was slipping into my post spring break, senior year, don't do shit groove and was just waiting to graduate college and actually start this whole Army thing. I am now 40% complete with my obligation. I dunno, I have been kinda thinking about sticking it out and doing at least 8 years active. I want to get into some sort of command position before I leave, and i figure Hell, I might be motivated enough to stay at that point. However, on a daily basis I am reminded why I would want to get out. It's not the being deployed that's the problem right now, especially since this is probably the easiest deployment any combat arms soldier has ever had in this unit. It's the atmosphere and all the completely unnecessary bull shit that is going on. Apparently the running joke on VBC is that anyone can spot a 1st CAV Soldier from way off because they are the ones with their heads down and shoulders slumped. Nuff said. I also recently sent up my Civil Affairs application. They aren't reviewed until next year but I hope getting it in early puts me on top of the stack at least. I really want that job. It is the closest I can get to actually using an international relations degree in the Army.
Bandit Bronzing.
The Lieutenants in my Troop have undertaken an extremely important and dangerous mission recently. I can't go into too much detail, but here is the gist. We take our shirts off, stand outside, and get tan. I've probably said too much... Its dangerous due to the skin cancer risk, obviously. It's extremely vital because let's face it, being jacked and white as snow doesn't really get the chicks. I am going to be taking my R&R in September to Europe and I want to make sure I am as tan as possible before I get out there.
I don't have much else to say. We continue to Soldier on out here. It's regularly getting over 100 degrees out, I got my eyebrows threaded, I continue to get paid, I am starting my fifth book, and I am on facebook far too often. I can't wait to get home and see all the people I haven't seen and drink all the beer I should have been drinking.
Oh yeah, Quit getting married this year people. I want to go to some weddings and this year is kinda bad. So if you want a sweet gift, wait til 2012.
No comments:
Post a Comment